If you are looking for ways how to reset garbage disposal, this article will certainly help you in this regard. While using your garbage disposal, sometimes you may observe your garbage disposal not turning on. In this case, the common perception is that the problem is with the circuit breaker or anything else in the electric circuit.
However, there is also a possibility of a garbage disposal reset button problem. So, if you are looking for ways how to unjam garbage disposal, resetting your garbage disposal can be a possible solution. In case when the circuit breaker cuts off the electric supply due to sparking or any other issue, the garbage disposal reset button also trips off.
After pressing the circuit breaker button, you also need to press the garbage disposal reset button. That’s why you also need to check the garbage disposal reset button when your garbage disposal is not turning on. Many people don’t know about the garbage disposal reset button.
The garbage disposal reset button is a red-colored button installed on the lower side of your garbage disposal. You can find it easily by looking underside of your garbage disposal.
When Do You Need To Reset Your Garbage Disposal?
It is also necessary for you to know when your garbage disposal needs to be reset. There are various conditions and circumstances when your garbage disposal needs resetting. Some of these conditions are given below.
The most common condition when your garbage disposal trips off and needs resetting is when it gets overheated due to a heavy working load. Another reason for overheating of garbage disposal is its continuous working for a long period of time without any pause or break.
When it gets overheated, the reset button automatically turns it off. And it will not restart until you press the reset button. Similarly, when there is any clog formation or blockage in the garbage disposal, the reset button trips off, and the garbage disposal is turned off. After that, when you want to turn on your garbage disposal, you have to press the red colored garbage disposal reset button for the process of resetting.
At the same time, if the circuit breaker cuts off the electric supply because of any fault in the electrical circuit, then also the reset button of the garbage disposal turns it off. And in this case, also you need to reset your garbage disposal in order to continue its working.
How To Reset Your Garbage Disposal?
You can easily reset your garbage disposal by simply following the steps given below:
- First of all, turn off your garbage disposal in order to eliminate the chances of laceration of your hand or electrical shock.
- Then find out the red-colored reset button on the lower side of your garbage disposal. Press this button gently, your garbage disposal will be reset. In case, it does not reset or start working, just wait for a few minutes. It will restart, and then pour water into it for the purpose of removing any clogs or waste material.
Issues Related To The Reset Button:
Sometimes, when you want to reset your garbage disposal and press the reset button, but it does not work. This happens due to some issues related to the working of the reset button.
The most common issue you will observe in this regard is the garbage disposal reset button stuck. Another issue which you can face is that the reset button is pressed too far inside the garbage disposal. you can solve this problem by installing new nuts to get the reset button back in its place. If it does not work, then you can replace the reset button.
If both of the above-given methods are not working then, in this case, you can use some other methods to reset your garbage disposal instead of pressing the reset button. One simple method you can use to reset your garbage disposal when the reset button is not working is given below.
How To Reset Garbage Disposal Manually?
If the reset button of your garbage disposal is not working, you can reset it manually by using a hex wrench or garbage disposal wrench. You can do it in the following steps.
- In the first step, turn your garbage disposal off. Unplug and detach the garbage disposal from your kitchen sink.
- Secondly, take a garbage disposal wrench and insert it into the opening of the garbage disposal near the red colored reset button. If the garbage disposal wrench is not available, you can take a ¼ inch hex key also for this purpose.
- After inserting the hex wrench or hex key into the garbage disposal opening, rotate it into the clockwise direction first, and then in its opposite direction. It will help to overcome garbage disposal jamming.
- Similarly, you can also insert the end of a plunger for the purpose of removing jam. In order to do so, insert the end of a plunger into your garbage disposal and try to rotate the impeller plate and blades. Rotation of impeller plate and blades will definitely help you to remove the jamming.
You can keep rotating the blades of the garbage disposal manually until it is needed to fix the jamming problem.
If you notice your garbage disposal not working, the thing you should check first is whether it needs resetting or not. If it needs resetting, you can simply do that by following the procedure told above.
When you feel your garbage disposal jammed and the reset button is not working, you can reset it manually as described in this article.